Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Two thoughts

1. The sun is out!
2. I love tiny kitchens.

For the sun-deprived winter Oregonian, the first needs no explanation.

The second thought, however, is something I've realized over the past few months. I made pad thai several nights ago, and for anyone familiar with the dish, it can be fairly messy to accomplish. Those fatal words in the recipe - "toss to combine" - get me every time. (A piece of chicken usually tries to fly behind the stove...or a stray piece of rice noodle makes its daring getaway toward the fridge.)

The pad thai was delicious, but the kitchen was in sad shape. Thai bits strewn across the stovetop, prep bowls, cutting boards, and utensils piled on the already-small countertop, and shards of peanut scattered willy-nilly across the floor.

Twenty minutes later, I emerged victorious - dishes handwashed, stovetop cleaned, counters wiped, floor swept & mopped. Amazing.

I love cleaning tiny spaces.

(of course, cooking in tiny spaces is another matter...but at least it's easy to clean up.)


the results of the kitchen mess:



 view from the balcony this morning:




2 comments:

  1. Rachel, Love the view from your apartment. We also do a lot of stir fry and one-pan dishes! Love, Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, rice noodles are becoming one of my favorites! (I will welcome any recipes involving stirfry; I need more practice.)
    The view is lovely from the balcony, and even isn't bad when it's grey out.

    ReplyDelete